Thursday, January 20, 2011

Post Number One; The Letter from Macbeth


I woke up this morning after an extensive sleep, coming down for a cup of coffee in my long gown of pale blue silk gathered at my waist by a belt of cloth and gold web. Drinking a cup of tea, cautiously watching out for any spills on my gown, I was reading a letter Macbeth wrote to me. It says, “I have run into three witches who told me about a prophecy that I would be Thane of Cawdor, then later on after a few obstacles, the King of Scotland. – Macbeth”. I can’t believe what I just read. This can’t be true! I can’t deem it. My husband… King of Scotland? How is this possible? King Duncan is still alive, and so is his son. Unless... King Duncan dies? “Woudst not play false, and yet woudst wrongly win. – Act I / Scene 5, pg 23 – 22”. I do not like cheating, but I rather cheat to win than lose. That throne I want for my husband, and we will win that together. Winning the throne it a way of disgust is cheating, but as long as I win, I don’t mind how I win. But how can I believe some prophecy that three witches say? “Which fate and metaphysical aid doth seem to have thee crown’d withal – Act I/ Scene 5, pg 25 – 29”. But if it’s a prophecy it must be true, it’s a prediction uttered under a divine inspiration. Either way I can’t let this chance get by! If Macbeth’s the king, I will be the Queen. The Queen of Scotland … that sounds remarkable, such great royalty draws closer as I can just see it before me. “The ignorant present, and I feel now the future in the instant. – Act I/ Scene 6, pg 27 – 57”. I can already see Macbeth as King before my eyes, I feel so pleased and privileged to be the wife of the future King of Scotland. As I fantasize what the future holds for me and my husband, the Messenger walks in and lets me know, King Duncan is on his way to the castle of Inverness to meet the Thane of Cawdor. I must prepare for his visit. Little does King Duncan knows what he’s in for …  

- Nevetha Kunaratnam

No comments:

Post a Comment